I´m not that kind of person who can eat peanut butter straight from the jar. However, I don´t have anything against snickers. The peanuts there are really nice and a little bit of peanut butter taste there is just amazing. The fudge bottom and caramel layer with peanuts are just the perfect combinations. So, I had that organic peanut butter without sugar at home and I just had to make something out of it. What? Maybe snickers? What do I need? Peanuts, dates caramel, cocoa powder, peanuts, peanuts … I have seen homemade snickers bars pictures in the social media a lot. However, I haven´t seen a recipe which is just as I like it. So, I decided to create my own snickers and why don´t I already make a mini snickers cake. Raw, vegan, gluten and sugar-free. Does it sound weird, confusing and too long? Yes! But sometimes I´m weird and I don´t care. Does it sound something which isn´t delicious? Maybe. We will see. It might go to garbage but at least I tried.
When I was ready for my creation, then my boyfriend looked at me like what have you done again? Then, finally he tried and he couldn´t stop eating. All the snickers were just magically gone from the fridge. Also, of course, I helped to make it happen too. The next day he asked me: “Where all the snickers?” (Not remembering that he ate the last one). He continued: “Where are you hiding these? I want some more!” We were out of these homemade snickers cakes and I magically didn´t have any peanut butter left. Next time … But he didn´t stop. The next day he asked me: “Are you gone make them again? Are you? Please! What do you need?” I couldn´t escape, I had to make them again.
So, if you´re gone make this snickers, then be careful. You might fight with someone to get the last one! Maybe it´s already better to share it then. It´s actually really sweet and it´s quite hard to eat it a lot. However, it depends on the person. Attention! Be careful of eating them too much. We ate too much and couldn´t sleep. So, we just studied all night. But if you need to stay up all night, then it´s a good solution! At least you don´t need energy drinks.
The recipe here is quite simple and you can make snickers bars, snickers cake or cakes. The choice is yours. If you don´t have silicon muffin cases or cake springform, then you can just make snickers bars. All you need then is a baking pan, a box or a bread tin. I have used them all when I don´t want to make a fancy cake and I just want simple snickers bars which I can have a takeaway snacks.
P.S. Also, big thanks to SheKnows for an article about “20 vegan Thanksgiving desserts you’ll gobble up in seconds: Vegan Thanksgiving desserts”. It´s nice to be mentioned in my “Raw Mini Chocolate Pecan Tarts“.
Raw Vegan Gluten and Sugar-Free Snickers Cakes
- 100 g almond slices or almond meal
- 2 dl peanuts
- 2 dl peanut butter
- 4-5 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- Pinch of ground sea salt
- 2,5 dl dates
- 2 tbsp warm water
- 2,5 dl peanuts
- 1 tbsp peanut butter (organic, unsweetened and without salt, usually it should say 100% peanuts and nothing else)
- Pinch of ground sea salt (or more and you can use salt flakes when you like salted caramel)
- 25 g cocoa powder (unsweetened) (about 3-4 tbsp)
- 50 g cocoa butter or coconut butter (without taste) (about 0,75 dl)
- 50 g honey (or maple syrup for vegan option)
- Handful of peanuts
- ½ tbsp of cocoa nibs (optional)
- Blend peanuts and almond slices in a food processor until it looks like a fine breadcrumb. Add maple syrup, salt and peanut butter. Keep blending (about 3-4 minutes) until it forms a ball or stays together (like fudge).*
- Press the mixture at the bottom of the silicon muffin cases.**
- Make dates caramel. Blend juicy dates*** until almost smooth Add about 2 tbsp warm water and keep blending until it looks smooth. Add peanuts and stir it with a spoon until combined.
- Put the caramel and peanuts layer on top of the fudge.
- Put the muffin cases into the freezer while making the chocolate topping.
- Melt all the chocolate topping ingredients on a low heat until combined (make sure it´s a really low heat. If you want it raw, then the temperature shouldn´t go over 45°C/ 113° F).
- Take the snickers out of the freezer and cover it with chocolate and decorate with peanuts and cocoa nibs.****
- Freeze it at least 2 hours before you take them out of the cases or before you cut slices. Keep them in an airtight container and use in a few weeks (I think it will last few weeks. However, these are always gone by that time).
* If it doesn´t stay together when you press it at the bottom of the silicon muffin case, then you might need to add some more peanut butter or blend longer (nuts usually give some natural oil when you blend them long enough. That´s how you make almond butter or peanut butter or whatever butter with nuts).
**If you don´t have the silicon ones, then you might need to use cling wrap at the bottom of the muffin pan to get the cakes out of the pan. You can also make a big cake on a small springform (20 cm diameter). But if you only have 24 diameter springform, then you might need to double the ingredients. Also, you don´t have to make cakes. You can just make snickers bars. Then use a medium box or a bread tin.
***If you don´t have juicy ones and you have only dry ones, then soak them in a hot water for 5 minutes and use the water later.
**** If you make cakes or bars, then you can just add one extra layer of chocolate on top. But when you would like to have everything covered with chocolate then tip the bars into the chocolate after freezing them for at least 2 hours and slicing them.
Making Snickers Bars Instead of Cakes
Mini Snickers Bars