Today is Father’s Day and for me, it obviously means baking and spending quality time with my father. It´s like some kind of tradition what happens every year and we don´t even have to make an agreement. Like many others, we just come together, eat some cake and tell some stories about our life.
This recipe here for the chocolate pecan tart is paleo, gluten and sugar-free. Compare to the vegan mini tart recipe (Raw Vegan Mini Chocolate Pecan Tarts), this tart contains some eggs in the crust. If you are already familiar with my baking, then you will probably quite easily guess the ingredients.
Paleo Chocolate Pecan Tart (Dairy-Free & Gluten-free)
- 2 cups almond meal (flour) (4,7 dl)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 0,8 cup (2 dl) dates (3/4 as a caramel 1/3 to avocado mix)
- 1/3 cup (0,7 dl) chopped pecans
- 4-5 medium avocado, de-seeded and peeled
- 4-5 tsp honey (or maple syrup)
- 2 tbsp cocoa butter (melted)
- 4 tbsp dark cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
For decoration: pecans (about 0,5 dl) and cocoa nibs (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 175° C/ 347° F.
- To make the crust, place almond meal and salt in a food processor and pulse until combined. Add maple syrup and coconut oil and process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add egg and process until the mixture forms a ball.
- Butter the 23 cm tart pan with coconut butter. Take the pastry out of the food processor and press the pastry on the tart pan (it might be a little bit sticky. So, you might need to make your fingers a little bit wet because you can´t handle it like usual plain flour tart pastry).
- Bake it for 20-25 minutes until it´s lightly golden (make sure it´s baked because otherwise later it doesn´t stay together properly).
- While the crust is in the oven, make the filling. For the filling, firstly make the caramel layer. Soak the dates in a hot water for 5 minutes (or when you use juicy dates, then you don´t need to soak them). Drain the soaked dates (don´t through away the dates water). Put the dates in the blender and blend until almost smooth. Add about 2 tbsp dates water and blend until the mixture is smooth.
- When the crust has cooled down and is at room temperature, then cover the crust (crust should be at room temperature) with dates caramel (thin layer). Add chopped pecans on top.
- Leave the leftover caramel for the rest of the filling. For the chocolate filling, blend together avocado, dates caramel, honey, melted cocoa butter, cocoa powder, vanilla and salt until smooth.
- Fill the tarts with chocolate filling (you can use a piping bag) and decorate with pecans.
- Put the tart in the fridge for 2 hours until set.
Fill the tart case