A few days ago I went to the farmers market. I just wondered around there and buying seasonal fruits and vegetables but then something stupid happened. I saw strawberries. The strawberry season here is a long time ago but you can still find some last late strawberries on the market but they are more expensive than usual. So, I saw the strawberries and I couldn´t resist. I just had to buy the strawberries to get the summer feeling again. I was telling myself that it´s because I was traveling and I almost missed the summer and the strawberries in here.
Finally, I bought the strawberries and at least the seller told me that they are local. I went home and felt a little bit bad spending that money. But there wasn´t anything to do anymore. The least I can do is to do something good with them. The first thing that came to my mind was strawberry tart. I used to make it with usual plain flour and sugar and it was something delicious and light. Then I thought that why don ´t I use almond meal instead of plain flour and honey instead of sugar. Done! The results were even better than usual.
- 2 cups almond meal (4,7 dl)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks (what to do with egg whites? Make mousse! I have some recipes for coconut mousse and chocolate mousse)
- 300 ml whipping cream
- 2,5 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or seeded vanilla bean)
Decoration: about 500 g of fresh strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 175° C/ 347° F.
- To make the crust, place almond meal and salt in a food processor and pulse until combined. Add maple syrup and coconut oil and process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add egg and process until the mixture forms a ball.
- Butter the 23 cm tart pan with coconut butter. Take the pastry out of the food processor and press the pastry on the tart pan (it might be a little bit sticky. So, you might need to make your fingers a little bit wet because you can´t handle it like usual plain flour tart pastry).
- Bake it for 12-15 minutes until it´s lightly golden (make sure it´s baked because otherwise later it doesn´t stay together properly).
- While the crust is in the oven, make the filling. Whisk together all the ingredients until combined (don´t use a mixer, because the filling might go to scrambled eggs like this).
- When the pastry case is ready, pour the filling on top of the crust and bake it another 20 minutes until the filling is set.
- Make a quick strawberry jam to brush the fresh strawberries. Chop about 5-8 strawberries and place it in the saucepan. Steam the strawberries on a low heat for 5-8 minutes until the strawberries break into a jam. Set aside to cool.
- Take the tart out of the oven and set aside to cool.
- Decorate the tart with strawberries. Brush the strawberries with jam and enjoy!