I’m not such a fan of Valentine’s Day. In my opinion, we should notice each other more often than just that day. However, a little bit baking with chocolate for your loved ones is always a good idea and what is better than chocolate lava cake? There’s just that fun moment when you open the warm chocolate cake with a spoon. It’s a little surprise with chocolate and who doesn’t love chocolate?
Baking the Lava Cake looks complicated when you serve it. However, when you are quite familiar with the oven then it’s easy. It’s one of the easiest yet impressive desserts! Making the batter for the cake is very quick and easy! It takes only 5-10 minutes and another 10 in the oven. The only problem might be to get the cake out of the oven the right time.
Here I created chocolate lava cake recipe which is gluten and refined sugar-free! Also, amazingly there isn’t any dairy on the cake and the result is so similar to the butter and plain flour one that I barely notice.
Chocolate Lava Cake
- 100 g dark chocolate (you can look for organic and refined sugar-free one)
- 30 g coconut butter (without coconut taste)
- 60 g honey
- 100 g almond meal or hazelnut meal
- 2 eggs + 1 egg white from the egg yolks
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp chopped hazelnuts
- Preheat oven 210° C/ 410° F.
- Melt the chocolate in the water bath. Add coconut butter and mix together until combined.
- Butter ramekins (about 6 smaller ramekins) and put the ramekins in the fridge.
- Whisk eggs (2 eggs, 1 egg white) with honey and add almond meal to the mixture.
- Add egg yolks to the melted chocolate and mix until combined (make sure the chocolate isn’t too hot, you should be able to put your finger inside). Add the chocolate and hazelnuts to the egg and almond meal mixture. Mix well until it’s combined and you get the shiny texture.
- Take the ramekins out of the fridge and cover them with almond meal. Pour the cake mixture into the ramekins.
- Bake 10 minutes (the crust should be cooked, but inside gooey). *
- Serve it right away.
* Touch gently with a finger, it’s like making sure if the poached eggs are still runny. It’s important to put the ramekins in the oven quickly and don’t open the oven door while cooking. The oven should be really hot! The mixture should bake outside and not from inside.