Creamy paleo weeknight fall dinner “carbonara” with butternut pumpkin (butternut squash). Perfect pasta alternative with smoked salmon and creamy cashews.
Paleo Pumpkin Pasta: Perfect Pasta Alternative for Fall
This pasta here is OFFICIALLY my autumn favorite. I’m serious. I remember that last summer I had that creative idea to make butternut pumpkin ribbons. I’m SO happy about that idea (same VEGAN recipe with mushrooms HERE).
How I came up with this recipe? Empty Fridge
I remember that I was craving for zoodles (recipe here and here). However, I didn’t have any zucchini at home and the only thing I had was butternut pumpkin. I was standing in front of the fridge and then it HIT me. Why don’t I use butternut PUMPKIN instead of zucchini!? Does it work?! I had no idea.
Too excited?! Like a kid
Once the healthy “carbonara” was ready and I had a taste, then I was SO happy. I was literally jumping up and down alone in the kitchen. Now I’m more than happy to announce that I wasn’t the only one who loved it! YAY! 😅
Quick Secretly Veggie Salmon “Carbonara” with Butternut Pumpkin and Cashew Sauce (Paleo)
Serve for 2
Preparation: 5 minute
Ready: 15 minutes
Nutritional information (per serving): 545,1 kcal, Protein: 21,7 g, Net Carbs: 23, 1 g, Fat: 40,6 g
- 200 g butternut pumpkin (butternut squash, cleaned, peeled, about 1/2 medium-size pumpkin)
- 100 g smoked salmon (or you can always use up your leftover cooked salmon)
- 2 slices of bacon (optional, leave it out when you don’t eat it and use 1/ 2 tsp coconut butter to get some fat for the onion)
- 1 small diced onion
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- 100 g cup cashews (soak overnight or at least a few hours)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5-7 tbsp cashew (or almond) milk
- For seasoning: pink Himalayan salt, pepper, fresh or dry basil
- For serving: 4-6 cherry tomatoes and fresh basil (optional)
- Clean the butternut pumpkin. Cut ribbons with a vegetable peeler (they should look like tagliatelle).
- For the creamy sauce, blend all the soaked cashews, olive oil, and cashew milk. Season.
- Heat the saucepan and cook the bacon (if you use it). Add diced onions and fry for few minutes.
- Add pumpkin ribbons and garlic. Cook them for about 2-3 minutes. Season with some salt, pepper, and basil.
- Add the creamy cashew sauce and salmon. Add some extra water or milk and seasoning when needed (I added about 3 tbsp of water)
- Let it simmer on low heat for a few minutes until the pumpkin is tender.
- Serve it with tomatoes and basil. Enjoy!