Paleo energy bites recipe as a homemade holiday gift idea that is my go-to dairy-free & gluten-free snack.
Do you eat chocolate? Yes & no ?!
“Forbidden” food? Intuitive eating?
There’s always some mystery with “forbidden” things. When someone tells me to do something, then I almost always have the temptation to do something the opposite way. Yes, of course when it’s reasonable, then I have to do it. However, I will still try to make some twist. I don’t like to be told to do something. The end.
Four Tendencies? Rebel?
I’m quite sure that this “forbidden” thing depends on the person. For example, this book about “Four Tendencies” by Gretchen Rubin explains the personalities quite well. It demonstrates how the four main personality types upholders, questioners, obligers, and rebels react to certain situations.
There might be some connection between “forbidden” food and personality as well. For example, if you say I can’t eat chocolate, then I would most definitely ignore you. For that reason, I don’t like to forbid the chocolate in my life as well. When I want chocolate, then I will eat it. Still, I usually choose some healthier alternative. In most cases, I buy my raw cocoa butter and make homemade chocolate. Otherwise, I don’t care about it anymore.
What’s my hack? No “forbidden” food?
What I’m trying to say is that “forbidden” food mentality might work differently on every person. When I forbid something for myself, then it just doesn’t work.
I would always have the temptation to do something my way. I’m stubborn & I know it. Still, it doesn’t mean that everyone is similar in this kind of situation. You have to find your hack.
All I can do is share some healthier “chocolate” recipes with you that I love. For that reason, I came up with another chocolate-inspired recipe to make sure I can eat more of it.
Sugar addition? Healthy alternatives?
Over the last 4 years, I have been working my “sugar addiction”. I ate way too much sugar that I started to lose my focus. For that reason, my life “mission” has been to discover some healthier alternatives for classic white sugar.
You read more about my sugar detox here.
Yes, I know that honey & dates are still full of sugars. However, I believe that these two are more natural than white sugar. Still, it’s always a better choice in reasonable amounts (more about this topic for example here).
My other homemade “chocolate” recipes
Quick & Easy Paleo Energy Bites Recipe: Chocolate Date Bliss Balls as Holiday Gift Idea (Paleo, Vegan, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Refined Sugar-Free)
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates or dry dates*
- 80 g almond meal
- 2 tsp raw cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp melted coconut butter
- Pinch of salt
- Decoration (optional): 30 g vegan white chocolate (refined sugar-free) & 1 tsp edible flowers, (or about 1/ 2 cup chopped almonds or other nuts for paleo option)
- Blend dates, almond meal, cocoa powder, salt & melted coconut butter. (Add some chopped nuts when you like it to be crunchy).
- Roll balls out of the mixture and put them in the fridge while preparing the other ingredients.
- Option 1: Melt the chocolate. Drizzle the energy bites with melted chocolate. Decorate with edible flowers.
- Option 2: Roll the energy bites inside the chopped nuts.
- Put them in the fridge for few hours until set.
- Keep them in an airtight container refrigerated and use it in a few weeks.
*If you use dry dates, then soak them in hot water at least 10 minutes. Discard the water and blend the soft dates.