Garlic Shrimps skillet with bulgur and vegetables. Quick whole grain takeaway lunch idea or weeknight dinner recipe that is a healthy alternative to my usual salad.
Meal prep? Food for the whole week? No, thanks …
I have never been a big fan to take one Sunday and prep for the whole week. That sounds too exhausting for me. 😳 However, I still like to do the shopping for the entire week and prepare the food in small steps. I prefer to go with my gut feeling and cravings. Still, I understand when some people like to do that.
My kind of meal prep? 2-3 days
That’s right. The idea of eating the same food almost every day freaks me out. 🙄 That’s why I rather prefer to make my dinner and maybe have that for lunch as well the next day. Quite often, I just make some extra shrimps, fish, and chicken. 😊 As a result, I have that with a salad for my lunch the next day.
Hope that it answers my meal prep questions. Also, Blogtastic challenged me to come up with a meal prep recipe. So, here’s my solution! That’s lately one of my favorites to prep as my takeaway lunch.
Also, some other great meal prep ideas:
- Mushroom Risotto By Julia from Julia Recipes;
- Broccoli Cheese Quiche and Sweet Potato Hash by Sarah From Slice of Honey;
- Red Lentil, Tamarind and Tomato Soup by Elizabeth from Cuisine D’eli;
- Vegan Meal Prep Chili by Kathy from Holistic Hormone Help;
- Pumpkin, Ricotta and Sage Pasta Shells by Alexandra from
It’sNot Complicated Recipes;
- Instant Pot Ropa Vieja by Will From Hangry White Male;
- Thai Green Chicken Curry
- by Blogtastic
- Easy Mexican Lasagna by Jen From Real Food Happy Home;
- Instant Pot Stuffed Peppers by Maggie from Meals with Maggie;
- Make Ahead Mini Fritattas in Muffin Tins by Stephanie from 31 Daily.
Bulgur? Switch things up
However, I find that bulgur is one of the nutritious and easy whole grains that I can make plenty ahead of time in various forms for my dinner or lunch. Therefore, it satisfies all my cravings for carbs. 😍
Garlic Shrimps Skillet with Bulgur (Healthy Wholegrain Salad Alternative)
Preparation: 20 minutes
Time in Total: 30 minutes
Nutritional information (per serving g): 356 kcal, Protein: 32,3 g, Net Carbs: 35,5 g, Fat: 10,0 g
- 500 g (1,5 pounds) raw medium shrimps (shelled & deveined)
- 5 cloves minced garlic
- Pinch of sea salt & black pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime
- 2,5 dl (about 1,1 cup) uncooked bulgur
- 5 dl (about 2,2 cups) vegetable or chicken broth
- 2,5 dl (1,1 cup) frozen peas
- 2 carrots (shredded)
- Decoration (optional): lime & fresh pea shoots (I grew my own, look at my Instagram stories @healthylauracom).*
- Marinate the shrimps with garlic, lime juice, 1 tbsp olive oil, salt & pepper. Set aside.
- Prepare the bulgur. Bring vegetable broth to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high. Stir in bulgur; cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer about 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat, and let stand, covered, 10 minutes. Drizzle with 2 tbsp oil (or use butter if you prefer the taste). Fluff with a fork to combine.
- While you are cooking the bulgur prepare the shrimps. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Saute the shrimps until just cooked through (about 4-5 minutes). Set aside.
- Add the cooked bulgur, frozen peas & carrots to the skillet that already have garlic flavours. Season with extra salt & pepper. Cook for another minute until the peas are defrosted. Add shrimps.
- Serve the shrimps skillet with pea shoots (or other green leaves) & lime.
*Smash some extra avocado for creamy skillet.