Simple & quick breakfast or lunch avocado toast with poached eggs.
Too simple to call it a recipe?
This recipe here is something so simple that it´s quite hard to call it a recipe. However, I make this so often that I thought that there has to be a place for that on the blog.
My HANGRY Meal = Avocado Toast with Poached Eggs
Sometimes when I´m not in the mood for cooking, or I’m hangry. So, hungry and angry at the same time and I want something quick, then this avocado toast with poached eggs is my favorite one.
Other times, I eat that “millennials” toast for breakfast, and I enjoy it so much, that I tell myself not to eat it every morning. If you haven´t poached an egg before, then don´t worry! You will get it after a little bit of practice or even the first time you try.
Avocado Toast with Poached Eggs
- 2 toast ( homemade paleo bread or just your favorite bread, choose for gluten-free one if you don’t tolerate it)
- 2 eggs
- 1 avocado
- 2 tbsp fresh lime (or lemon) juice (that makes it extra fresh & avocado stays green)
- Freshly ground sea salt & pepper
- Decoration: green leaves (optional)
1. Smash the avocado with lime, salt, and pepper. (I usually do this with a fork because when you are going to blend it will be too smooth).
2. How to poach an egg? There are thousands of solutions for poaching an egg. However, I have found that the best way for me is to use a non-sticking saucepan. Before I used to lightly swirled the water. But when I worked in the kitchen, and I had to poach for example 20 eggs for every breakfast, then I realized that the saucepan way is more comfortable. It depends on how many eggs are you doing at the same time and how much mess you would like to make. So, how I poach an egg?
- Choose very fresh eggs (then it´s easier to poach an egg).
- Fill the saucepan with water and add a tbsp vinegar.
- Get the water to boil and then lower the heat a little bit. There have to be only tiny bubbles. You don´t need big bubbles. If the water boils too much, then it will break the egg into small pieces.
- Gently break the egg into the water (you can put the egg into the small bowl and pour them from there as well). Do the same thing with the second egg.
- The water has to simmer for 2-3 minutes. The egg yolk should be still soft when you gently touch it with a finger. You would like to have runny eggs. The egg white should be thick.
- Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and put it on the paper towel to get rid of the excess vinegar.
- Still sounds confusing? Look at my Instagram stories or other good videos for poaching an egg.
3. Serve the poached eggs with toast, smashed avocado mix, and green leaves. Add some freshly ground pepper and salt.