I think you get me if I say that cashew cheese & nutritional yeast are taking over the healthy food industry.
To be honest, I just couldn’t resist and I had to taste that nutritional yeast myself. What happened? Well, as you can see I came up with a vegan cashew creme cheese recipe.
Nutritional Yeast & Health Industry Hype?!
Is nutritional yeast taking over the health industry or it’s just me!? 😅 For the past year, I see this ingredient everywhere. Is it just another hype or it’s something special?! I have done a lot of research on that, and the articles say that it has incredible benefits and is full of vitamins. It supposed to be great for immune functions, digestion, hair, skin, and nails. However, sometimes I feel like almost all the ingredients are suitable for these things?! I’m a little bit confused here.
What’s nutritional yeast? It’s a savory yeast made from sugarcane and beet molasses. Sounds like kombucha? Right?! It’s a sugar-eating fungus that uses sugar for energy. However, it’s still an inactive form of yeast, and we can’t use it for baking like usual yeast. It has a nutty and cheesy flavor, and it’s super popular in the vegan world.
Nutritional Yeast Benefits? Sounds like a Dream?
What are the benefits? It’s an excellent source of vitamin B6 and B12. It’s gluten-free and doesn’t contain any added sugars. The fungus eats the sugar. Similar to kombucha, there doesn’t suppose to be any sugar inside. Also, it assumes to preserve immune functions and holds antibacterial properties. It improves the digestion because of the probiotics. Sounds like a dream?!
Nutritional Yeast? My approach? Natural?!
Anyways, I have tried it, and I must say it’s delicious. It reminds me of cheese. However, I’m still a little bit skeptical with that one. Just in case?! Doesn’t sound very natural for me. So, I’m not going to eat crazy amounts.
I believe that healthy eating is all about finding the balance and understanding what works for you. I can only tell you my own experience and explain to you what works for me. Even though my menu is healthy, then it doesn’t mean that I can eat something too much. The portion size is always essential. No matter what. If you feel like your adventurous with food, then I suggest you try this nutritional yeast and make your research and conclusions. 😊
Vegan, Paleo & Keto Cashew Cheese
1 medium jar
Time: 5 minutes
Nutritional information with nutritional yeast (per 10 g): 42,1 kcal, Protein: 1,7 g, Net Carbs: 2 g, Fat: 3,1 g
Nutritional information with parmesan (per 10 g): 42,2 kcal, Protein: 1,55 g, Net Carbs: 1,97 g, Fat: 3,3 g
- 150 g soaked cashews (overnight or at least few hours), drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese (you can choose parmesan cheese as well if you are on a keto diet. Also, leave it out if you don’t like it you will get a nice creme. However, nutritional yeast gives that “cheese” flavor)
- 1 minced garlic glove
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- Seasoning: about 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, some chili flakes (optional), 1/2 tsp dry or freshly chopped basil
- 50 ml almond milk (or water)
- Blend all the ingredients in a food processor until it’s smooth and thick. Add some more seasoning when needed.
- Enjoy! Keep it refrigerated in an airtight jar up to 5 days. (My favorite way to use it is on top of the toast with fresh tomatoes.)
If you liked this recipe, then please leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @healthylauracom or another platform. Your feedback is precious to me.