Quick and easy zucchini side dish that is vegan, paleo & dairy-free. Creamy cashew “cheese” will give that extra flavor for zucchini hasselback.
It looks like I’m ignoring the fact that the summer is over! 🙄 My only excuse is that I can still find zucchinis in the garden. 😅 So, I hope that we can count that as an autumn food!? However, in Estonia, we call zucchini a “summer pumpkin” (“suvikõrvits”).
Actually, since zucchini is one of my favorites vegetables, then I enjoy this amazing treat all year. There are just so many ways to use it, that I can’t ignore it half of the year. In fact, I really recommend freezing the zucchini since it’s a perfect ingredient in smoothies and it gives that nice creamy texture.
If you still have zucchini in your garden, then you can find some of my recipes for this vegetable here as well:
- Chicken Tomato Garlic Zoodles
- Tomato Zoodles Soup
- Zucchini Turmeric Flatbread
- Acai Bowl
- Crumb Zucchini Slices
- Zucchini Fritters
This recipe here is another way to use this amazing vegetable. It’s an easy but still powerful technique to make your zucchini a little bit more interesting if you are tired of usual zucchini slices. It might be even a way to seduce people to eat zucchini when they don’ t like it. I hope! 😅 Cheese or nutritional yeast always makes everything taste so much better, right?! (If you are wondering what are my thought on nutritional yeast, then read this post here).
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Time in total: 30 minutes
Nutritional information with nutritional yeast (per one piece): 146,7 kcal, Protein: 6 g, Net Carbs: 8 g, Fat: 10,3 g
Nutritional information with parmesan (per one piece): 146,1 kcal, Protein: 5,5 g, Net Carbs: 7,9 g, Fat: 10,6 g
- two medium zucchinis
- 1 tbsp coconut butter
- 1 minced garlic glove
- pinch of pink Himalayan salt
For Cashew “Cheese”:
- 75 g (2,6 oz) soaked cashews (overnight or at least few hours), drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast (optional, choose nutritional yeast for vegan & dairy-free option)
- 1 minced garlic glove
- Seasoning: pinch of salt, black pepper, chili flakes, dry or freshly chopped basil
- 25 ml almond milk
For the zucchini:
- Preheat the oven to 180° C/ 356° F.
- Cut the zucchini into two and remove the ends. Make small crosswise cuts along each zucchini, slicing almost to the bottom but not all the way through.
- Mix melted coconut butter with minced garlic.
- Brush the zucchini with coconut butter mixture. Sprinkle with salt.
- Cook in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
For the cashew “cheese”:
- While the zucchini is in the oven make the “cheese”. In a food processor, blend together cashews, parmesan (or nutritional yeast) and garlic.
- Season with some salt, pepper, chili flakes and basil.
- Add the milk and blend until nice and smooth.
- Add the cashew cheese on top of the zucchini and bake it for another 5-7 minutes until golden. Serve right away.
If you liked this recipe, then please leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @healthylauracom or another platform. Your feedback is precious to me.