Mmm .. Oat … Healthy way to start your day! Oat is full of vitamin B, magnesium, zinc and fiber. It provides you with important nutrients while making your stomach feel full longer.
I think that many people don´t like oatmeal because they don´t do it the right way. People have told me that usually they don´t eat oatmeal but this one tastes so good that they can´t believe it. The secret is cooking it long in a low heat and using whole grain flakes instead of ready grain which has been more processed. If you are doing this kind of oatmeal the first time with this recipe, then it may seem to you that the it needs more oats and you want to add some more. Don´t add some more! You won´t get your spoon out of the oatmeal then and the taste isn´t good!
Serve for one (double the ingredients when you want more)
- 0,5 dl water
- 1,5 dl milk (or you can use oat milk as well)
- 0,75 dl whole grain oats (rolled oats)
- A pinch of salt
- Berries, banana, seeds (sunflower seeds, flaxseeds) and almonds (optional)
- Doing this the first time, make sure that you have all the ingredients in the right amount. It´s important!
- Take a pot, pour in the water. Bring to the boil. (Doing this you avoid later burning the porridge at the bottom of the pot).
- Add milk and bring to the boil.
- Add whole grain rolled oats and a pinch of salt.
- Lower the heat. It´s important that the heat is really low and doesn´t boil because otherwise it will stick to the bottom of the pot and burn!
- It has to simmer for 15 – 20 minutes in low heat, stirring from time to time and watching carefully that it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. (I usually leave the porridge on the cooker to simmer and do other thing like brushing my teeth. When you are doing it the first time don´t try this).
- Leave to stand for 2 minutes before eating.
- For serving: pour into bowl, add berries seeds and almonds.