If you look out of the window, then you would say it´s definitely winter here. So, when I have been walking outside a few hours with this wonderful winter weather, then I´m quite frozen. Hands are cold and legs are even colder. All I would like to have then is a bowl of soup and a blanket! Here is a quick and easy green soup recipe which has some extra toasted chickpeas. These chickpeas make the soup extra nice and the green soup looks even better.
Why you should eat green vegetables?
- Keeps you young – vitamin K might help you to keep young. Researchers in California found low level of vitamin K can lead to cardiovascular disease, bone fragility, and arterial and kidney calcification.
- Good for your eyes – contain essential carotenoids called lutein, zeaxanthin and vitamin A.
- Keep your bones strong – keep your bones strong, mostly because of calcium and high amounts of vitamin K.
- Improve your brain – dark green vegetables like broccoli and spinach in this recipe are a good source of vitamin B9, which helps to improve concentration and overall brain functions. These green vegetables are loaded with antioxidants and carotenoids which act like brain protectors
- Boost your energy level – do you feel tired all the time? It might be because of low level of iron and vitamin C. Green veggies are full of iron and vitamin C!
Those green vegetables like spinich has just so many health benefits that it´s just unbelievable (read more here).
Vegan Broccoli Spinach Soup with Toasted Chickpeas
- 1 medium diced onion
- 1 glove of minced garlic
- 2 potatoes
- 500 ml broth (vegetable or chicken)
- 1 medium size fresh broccoli
- ½ zucchini
- 100 g spinach
- 250 ml water
- 150 ml whipping cream or coconut milk
- 400 g tinned chickpeas
- For seasoning: salt, pepper, ¼ tsp dry oregano, ¼ tsp dry basil
- For decoration: some seeds and chopped chive (optional)
- Start preparing the vegetables. Peel potatoes, onion and garlic. Chop everything.*
- Caramelize onions with a little bit of coconut oil (or vegetable oil) at the bottom of the hot saucepan (about 1 minute). Add Garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Add potatoes. Cover it with water and broth.
- Season the soup with salt, pepper and oregano and basil (remember that broth has already some salt). When the potatoes are cooked half way add broccoli. (It doesn´t have to be covered all the way with water).
- Stew the vegetable mix on a low heat until it´s completely soft.
- While the soup is cooking, prepare the chickpeas. Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Fry the chickpeas with a little bit of oil (coconut butter) on a saucepan until golden (or put them in the oven). Season it with salt, pepper and oregano. Set aside.
- Add spinach to the soup and blend the soup mix with hand blender.** Add coconut milk or whipping cream. Heat the soup again if needed.
- Serve the broccoli spinach soup with chickpeas. You can add some extra seeds and chopped chive.
*It doesn´t have to be perfect because you are later going to make it into a purée. Just try to cut the potatoes on the same size to make sure that they all cook at the same time, about 1 cm pieces.
** If you have a little bit too much soup, then you can take the purée and put it into the freezer before adding coconut milk or cream. Just use the soup in a few months and it will still taste the same. It´s better not to freeze the cream or coconut milk because otherwise you will get some unwanted aftertaste.