It´s summertime and it´s a season of zucchini (summer squash). When you have a garden full of zucchinis and you don´t know how to use it, then you should make these simple zucchini rolls. It´s an Italian dish and they use a lot of zucchini and they are very creative with it. However, there are many ways to fill the rolls. You can add sun-dried tomatoes, cheese, basil, parsley, pesto etc. However, my favourite is zucchini with roasted tomatoes and basil. In my opinion, it is a perfect combination of summer vegetables. These are the vegetables which you might have in your garden or at least in your grandmother, mother or friend garden. When it´s a season, then the gardens are full of zucchinis and tomatoes, so you have to think a little bit how to use them in different ways. Finally, you can enjoy your work which you have done in the spring while planting the tomatoes and zucchinis. I always suggest growing your own vegetables if you have a chance. I have my tomatoes from my country house. However, if I have to be in the city, then I usually grow tomatoes and herbs on my balcony. There are many smaller tomato species which you can grow in a pot and you don´t need a greenhouse at all.
Simple Zucchini Rolls
- 4 small zucchinis (yellow or green)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- About 10 basil leaves
- About 20 small tomatoes
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cut the zucchinis lengthwise into 5 mm thick slices. (It´s very important that the zucchinis are as small as possible. Otherwise, they might not stay together because the seeds too big and the inside of the zucchini is too soft. If you have bigger zucchinis, then cut the softer part of it out of them). Sprinkle the slices with salt and let it stay for at least 30 minutes (then they will get softer and the water comes out). Dry the slices with paper.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C/ 347°F on grill regime.
- While the zucchinis are staying with salt mix together olive oil, garlic and pepper.
- Brush the zucchinis with oil mix on both sides.
- Cook the zucchinis on an oven pan for 10 minutes.
- While the zucchinis are in the oven chop the tomatoes and mix together with chopped basil.
- After the zucchinis have been 10 minutes in the oven turn them around and add tomato mix on the top of the zucchinis. Cook extra 10 minutes.
- Take the zucchinis out of the oven and let them cool. Add some parmesan and roll the zucchini slices.