Maybe you´re gone hate me when I remind you that Christmas is coming. The snow is already here and I even have a little Christmas tree at home. Many people are already so stressed about spending money for all those gifts. Sadly, in many cases Christmas has become a spending holiday where some people just go crazy. For me Christmas is a holiday, where I just want to spend time with my family and loved one. Eat good food and tell lovely stories. I don´t like to spend and I don´t like when others spend a lot of money for Christmas only because we have to. But I do like small but lovely gifts just to remember my friends and family. So, gifts which come straight from the heart and has at least some meaning. One small but lovely gift has always been a box of homemade truffles. I have done that kind gift for Christmas so long that I don´t even remember when was the first time.
So, here´s a small Christmas gift idea. Box of homemade snickers truffles! Who doesn´t like homemade truffles which you made by yourself? Even if they don´t look perfect, then the ideas counts. The only one who don´t like these are mostly people who don´t eat sweets. This recipe here is paleo, vegan, gluten and sugar free and whatever you would like to call it. The taste reminds a little bit of snickers and a little bit of toffifee. I can´t decide which one. The most important thing is that these are actually tasty and it´s not just me who thinks that these are good. I had a little bit trouble to save these truffles for picture. Everyone at home were like why can´t we eat them all right now? Why?
Would you like to have a small box of homemade truffles for Christmas?
The best way to do them is to use silicone forms for chocolate. There are so many different shapes, that you usually have a big choice in the store. There are hearts, rounds, snowflakes and even snowmen. Just pick a shape and you´re ready to make these lovely truffles. It´s quite hard to make balls out of them because these truffles have three layers (chocolate, fudge and caramel). So, the quickest and easiest way is to use forms. Also, you can always mix different truffles together in a truffle box. Have a look to my earlier posts: coffee energy bite truffles, white and milk chocolate energy bite truffles, raw coconut truffles and my very old post about almond marzipan truffles. Almond Marzipan truffle recipe is one of the first recipes I created but the taste is still good and I make these quite often. Energy bites aren´t usually that sweet but these snickers truffles and marzipan truffles are sweet, sweet!
Raw Vegan Snickers Truffles
About 35-40 smaller truffles, depends on how big are the forms
First layer (fudge):
- 1 dl natural peanuts (peeled, without salt or any other ingredients like oil)
- 1 dl organic natural peanut butter (without salt, sugar or oil, it should contain 100 % peanuts)
- 1,5-2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 tbsp melted coconut butter (without coconut taste) or cocoa butter
- Pinch of ground sea salt
Second layer (caramel):
- 1 dl juicy pitted dates
- 1 tbsp warm water
- 1 dl finely chopped natural peanuts
- Pinch of ground sea salt (or more and you can use salt flakes when you like salted caramel)
- 20 g cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 20 g cocoa butter or coconut butter (without taste)
- 20 g honey
- Blend peanuts in a food processor until it looks like fine breadcrumb. Add maple syrup, coconut butter, salt and peanut butter. Keep blending (about 3-4 minutes) until it form a ball or stays together (like fudge).*
- Press the mixture at the bottom of the silicon chocolate forms (about ½ full). This layer will be the top, when you take them out of the forms.
- Make dates caramel. Blend juicy dates** until almost smooth. Add about 2 tbsp warm water and keep blending until it looks smooth. Add chopped peanuts, salt and stir it with a spoon until combined.
- Put the caramel and peanuts layer on top of the fudge (leave some room for choclolate bottom).
- Put the chocolate forms into the freezer for 30 minutes to make sure that chocolate doesn´t go to other layers.
- Melt all the chocolate topping ingredients*** on a low heat until combined (make sure it´s a really low heat. If you want it raw, then the temperature shouldn´t go over 45°C/ 113° F).
- Take the truffles out of the freezer and cover it with chocolate and make a nice even layer (I usually lake when the chocolate layer is quite thin).
- Freeze it at least 2 hours (or even over night) before you take them out of the forms. Keep them in an airtight container in a fridge and use in a few weeks. They will also stay at room temperature but if you have a chance then keep them in a fridge.
* If it doesn´t stay together when you press it at the bottom of the silicon chocolate forms, then you might need to add some more peanut butter or blend longer (nuts usually give some natural oil when you blend them long enough. That´s how you make almond butter or peanut butter or whatever butter with nuts).
**If you don´t have juicy ones and you have only dry ones, then soak them in a hot water for 5 minutes and use the water later.
*** If you don´t have anything against dark chocolate then you can use 50 g of dark chocolate (80 % or more cocoa). It´s a little bit easier to handle dark chocolate then raw chocolate.