When I was working in the kitchen in Australia I began to understand the power of citrus in the cakes. At first lemon, lime, grape or other citrus things in the desserts were quite strange for my taste. However, every week I baked lemon meringue for the customers. I just baked it but I really never liked it because of lemon. I only liked the look of the cake. But then something changed. My taste palate started to like citrus in the cakes?! The combination of sweet and sour worked perfectly. The cakes are usually not overly sweet and you will get the amazing aftertaste what brings you back to the cake. Then I understood why all the English speaking countries are crazy about sweet citrus desserts which they know from their grandparents.
Inspired by that I went a little bit creative and made a raw lime cheesecake. Of course, everything is not as simple as it looks like. So, this recipe and cake here is for people who like cakes which aren´t overly sweet and like citrus in the cakes. With this cake there´s two solutions. You really like it and can´t stop eating or you don´t like it at all. With me it´s the first solution.
Mini Raw Lime Cheesecakes
6 medium size cakes
- 1 cup (2,3 dl) raw cashews
- 2 soft dates, pitted
- 1 tbsp unflavoured maple syrup or honey
- 1 tbsp unflavoured coconut oil (room temperature)
- 3 medium avocado, de-seeded and peeled
- 60 ml freshly squeezed lime juice (I used about 3 limes)
- 3 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 3 tbsp unflavoured coconut oil (room temperature)
- zest of 2 lime
- 1/3 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp salt
For decoration: mint, lime slices and lime zest
- Blend all the crust ingredients and press the crust at the bottom of the individual silicon muffin pan. Put the muffin pan in the freezer while making the filling.
- Blend all the filling ingredients into a smooth consistency. Transfer the filling on top of the crust. Tap the cakes on the table to flatten the filling and help a little bit with the spoon, knife or spatula.
- Freeze the cakes about 2 hours or overnight.
- Take the cake out of the freezer about 30 – 45 minutes before serving. Decorate with slice of lime, mint and lime zest.
*Notes: if you don´t have the silicon ones, then you might need to use cling wrap at the bottom of the muffin pan to get the cakes out of the pan. You can also make a big cake on a small springform. But if you only have 24 diameter springform, then you might need to double the ingredients.