When I was working in the kitchen in Australia I fell in love with tarts. At first, I just liked them but when I learned how to do the tart without cracking the biscuit base I fell in love. My favourites were strawberry custard tart and chocolate pecan tart. That´s just an amazing combination of creamy filling and crumble bottom.
Chocolate pecan tart has to be full of chocolate that you can get the amount of chocolate that just makes you sick but you still keep eating. The healthier solution to enjoy that is cocoa butter and powder. So, chocolate tart out of raw chocolate and nuts. The hidden caramel layer you will get out of dates caramel! That´s just perfect for chocolate pecan tart and the results are so similar to the classic chocolate pecan tart that it´s quite hard to make the difference! In addition, this raw chocolate pecan tart doesn´t melt like most of raw cakes and it will stay in shape even after staying in the fridge for few days.
Mini Chocolate Pecan Tarts
About 6 tarts
- 1 cup (2,3 dl, 150 g) raw cashews
- 2 soft dates, pitted (soak in a hot water for 5 minutes)
- 1 tbsp unflavoured maple syrup or honey
- 2 tbsp cocoa butter (melted)
- 1/2 cup (1,1 dl) dates (half as a caramel half to avocado mix)
- 2 medium avocado, de-seeded and peeled
- 1/3 cup (0,7 dl) chopped pecans + 1/4 (0,5 dl) cup of pecans for decoration
- 2,5 tsp honey or maple syrup
- 2 tbsp cocoa butter (melted)
- 2 tbsp dark cocoa powder (without sugar)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp salt
- Firstly, make the crust. Blend the cashews and then add dates, honey and melted cocoa butter. Blend until smooth. Put the mixture into the freezer for few minutes to make it easier to work.
- Soak the dates for the filling in a hot water (add only water to cover the dates).
- Take the crust mixture out of the freezer and divide the mixture to 5- 6 balls (depends how big are your shells, my tart shells diameter is 10 cm, so I usually get 5 tarts). Press the mixture into mini tart shells* (look at the notes). Put the tarts into the freezer while making the filling.
- For the filling, firstly make the caramel layer. Drain the soaked dates (don´t through away the dates water). Put the dates into the blender and blend until almost smooth. Add about 2 tbsp dates water and blend until the mixture is smooth.
- Take the crust out of the freezer and cover the crust with dates caramel (thin layer). Add chopped pecans on top.
- Leave the leftover caramel for the rest of the filling. For the chocolate filling, blend together avocado, dates caramel, honey, melted cocoa butter, cocoa powder, vanilla and salt until smooth.
- Fill the tarts with chocolate filling (you can use piping bag) and decorate with pecans.
- Put the tarts into the freezer for 2 hours or overnight.
- Take the tarts out of the freezer and take them out of the tart shells (look at the notes*). Let them melt about an hour on room temperature or a few hours in the fridge before serving.
- *For making mini tarts you can use mini tart shells or silicon muffin cases. If you want to use tart shells and later you would like to get them out of the shell, then put the cling wrap under the crust. The other solution is to eat it straight from the tart shell. If you use silicon muffin cases, then the tarts are coming out of the case easily and you don´t need to use any cling wrap.
- You can also use the same recipe for one big tart. But then you should double all the ingredients.
- 1 cup is about 2,3 dl.
How to make caramel out of dates?
Blend soaked dates and then add dates water to make it smooth.
Add the caramel on top of the tart crust to get the caramel layer
Add chopped pecans …
and chocolate mix ..