What´s the difference between granola and muesli? Both of them usually have rolled oats and both are for breakfast. However, granola is always baked. Muesli isn´t. So, granola must be crispy! That´s the reason when I have a choice between granola vs. muesli I always choose granola because it´s crispy.
However, there has been an endless discussion about granola and if it´s healthy or not. I would say it depends on the granola. So, if you make your own granola at home then you have the control over the oil and sugar inside the granola. However, I don´t say that there aren´t good granolas at the store as well. There must be! You just have to read the labels and decide. But my other homemade granola recipes are here: honey almond granola and chocolate granola.
The truth is that healthy granola is full of fibre and good fats. All the oats and nuts you put inside the granola gives you a healthy breakfast. Compare to usual oatmeal granola keeps the stomach full for longer and you can rely on that. Oatmeal on the other hand digests quite quickly. So, quite often I choose granola for breakfast when I know that I have a long day and I can´t rely on early lunch. It´s also quick breakfast. I usually need to make on big batch of granola maybe once a month or once in two months. It´s vegan, dairy-free, gluten and refined sugar free. Making the granola usually takes 5 minutes of your time and the rest it´s just in the oven for 30 minutes. For me it´s worth of that effort when I can have my nice but quick breakfast in the busy morning.
- 7,5 dl rolled oats
- 2,5 dl desiccated coconut
- 1 dl coconut flakes
- 1 dl sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- pinch of salt
- 0,5 dl coconut butter
- 1 dl maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste ( or 1 seeded vanilla bean)
- Preheat the oven to 175° C/ 347° F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, coconut, seeds, salt.
- Stir in the melted coocnut butter, honey and vanilla.
- Turn the granola out onto your pan which is covered with baking paper. Spread it in an even layer.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. After 15 minutes stir the granola. The granola is ready when it´s lightly golden. Open the oven door and let it cool completely (don´t stir anymore). The granola will crisp up as it cools!
- Store the granola in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Serve with natural unsweetened yogurt and suitable seasonal berries and fruit or smoothie. Try not to eat it all at once. It´s really addictive!
- 2,3 dl is about 1 cup.
- Remember that you can always go creative with granola and add whatever ingredients you would like to see in your granola.