I have been experimenting with chickpeas for a while. I have seen chickpea pizza everywhere. However, when I tried the chickpea pizza with real chickpeas, then it wasn’t crispy at all! Maybe I did something wrong. So, I left the chickpea pizza and didn’t put the recipe in the blog. However, the other day I went to the health food store and I found chickpea flour! I couldn’t stop myself buying it. I don’t regret the decision because the chickpea pizza was finally crispy!
So, pizza crust with chickpea flour is super crispy! That’s the kind of pizza I’m looking for! Because when it’s “healthy”, then at least it needs to be crispy! Also, it’s always even more crispy when I use pizza stone which is like a baking heaven! Pizza stone is something essential when you love crispy homemade pizza or other baked things! It’s not only for pizza but also bread and cakes.
I personally like chickpea pizza. It’s something light for a change and I feel great after eating it! At least my stomach doesn’t hurt after eating the pizza. However, I’m going to be honest with you. When you make it, then you can’t expect it to be like usual pizza! It can’t replace usual pizza. Italians have done too good job! Maybe, it’s more like a shortbread or something! But at least my mood for pizza is satisfied after eating it! Nice and light for summer. 🙂
Chickpea Pizza with Rocket Pesto
45 cm pizza
- 4 dl chickpea flour
- 3 tbsp tapioca starch
- ½ tsp sea salt*
- 2 tbsp melted coconut butter
- 2,5 dl water
- Later for brushing: 1 tsp olive oil and 1 glove of garlic
- Home made rocket pesto: 2-3 handfuls of rocket, some fresh basil leaves, 2-3 tblsp extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, pepper, 1 glove minced garlic, 1 handful of cashews
- some rocket leaves
- about 15-20 cherry tomatoes
- ¼ tsp dry basil
- 2-3 glove of minced garlic
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat the oven with a pizza stone (392° F/ 200° C).
- Mix all the dry crust ingredients and add water. Mix. Let it stand under the towel for 15-20 minutes.
- Pour the chickpea batter on a buttered baking paper on top of the pizza stone. Bake the crust for 15 minutes and then brush the crust with olive oil which is mixed with minced garlic. Bake another 15 minutes more until golden.
- While the crust is baking prepare the topping. Roast the tomatoes with basil, salt and garlic for about 15 minutes.
- Make the pesto with a blender. Add all the pesto ingredients into the food processor and blend until smooth.
- Take the crust out of the oven and add all the topping ingredients. Start with pesto and then add roasted tomatoes and fresh rocket.
* When I say sea salt, then I usually use pink Himalayan salt.