One of my favourite purée soups is pumpkin purée. When it has some spices and some cream inside then it´s exactly what I need to comfort myself in a dark autumn evening. My favourite sort of pumpkin is butternut pumpkin. It´s not the same like usual pumpkin. It cooks quicker and has more nutritions. It´s also easier to work with. You can just peel it with vegetable peeler. In addition, you don´t need to add anything sweet to the soup like many other pumpkin soups would like to get for the taste. Butternut pumpkin is already a little bit sweeter than usual pumpkin. Butternut itself is more smooth then usual and cooks quicker. It´s also perfect for barbeque andit just melts like butter in your mouth!
So, one day I was making a soup with my favourite butternut pumpkin and then I felt that I would like to have something different on top of my soup. Quite often I serve the soup with some flaxseeds, pumpkinseeds and sunflower seeds. But I didn´t have the usual pumpkin seeds and then I thought that why don´t I serve it with quinoa! Butternut pumpkin and quinoa go together like chocolate and nuts. The combination in the soup works perfectly. Quinoa gives some consistency and you will get something different than a usual purée soup.
Butternut Pumpkin Soup with Quinoa
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 diced onion
- 3 gloves of minced garlic
- 1 fresh chilli pepper (remove the seeds if you don´t want it too spicy)
- ½ tsp coconut oil
- 800 g butternut pumpkin (butternut squash)
- 250 g potatoes (about 3 medium potatoes)
- 400 ml water
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/3 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 100 ml coconut milk or whipping cream
- For quinoa: 1 dl quinoa (0,4 cup), 1 glove of minced garlic, pinch of salt, about 8 chopped cherry tomatoes, 1 tbsp finely chopped mint
- Decoration: chilli flakes and mint
- Start by preparing the vegetables. Peel pumpkin, potatoes, onion and garlic. Chop everything.*
- Caramelize onions, ginger and chilli with coconut oil at the bottom of the hot saucepan (about 1 minute). Add Garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Add pumpkin and potatoes.** Cover it with water. (It doesn´t have to be covered all the way. It will break apart later anyway).
- Season the soup with salt, pepper and turmeric. When the pumpkin is cooked half way add chopped tomatoes.
- Stew the vegetable mix on a low heat until the pumpkin falls apart and is completely soft.
- While the soup is cooking, prepare the quinoa. Boil 1 dl quinoa with 2 dl water. Add some salt and minced garlic. Boil the quinoa for 15 minutes in low heat. When it´s ready, add tomatoes and mint. Mix and set aside.
- Blend the pumpkin soup mix and add coconut milk or whipping cream. ***
- Serve the butternut pumpkin with quinoa and chilli flakes and mint.
*It doesn´t have to be perfect because you are later going to make it into a purée. Just try to cut the pumpkin and potatoes on the same size to make sure that they all cook at the same time, about 2-3 cm pieces.
**Butternut pumpkin cooks quicker than usual pumpkin, so you can add pumpkin and potatoes at the same time. If you don´t have butternut pumpkin, then you can use usual pumpkin as well. But then you should add pumkin a little bit earlier than potatoes.
*** If you have a little bit too much soup, then you can take the purée and put it into the freezer before adding coconut milk or cream. Just use the soup in a few months and it will still taste the same. It´s better not to freeze the cream or coconut milk because otherwise you will get some unwanted aftertaste.