There aren’t many people who can say no to homemade gourmet burgers. It’s just like a comfort food that just makes us happy. When you give me some wholegrain bread, quality beef and some real sauce, then you will win me over. There’s no question that it isn’t entirely healthy choice, but in my opinion the healthy lifestyle doesn’t mean that you have to eat green leaves all the time. For me it means that most of the time I eat totally clean and then sometimes I eat something that’s almost healthy. Making your own burgers makes it so much easier to eat better. At least you know what’s inside the meal and you can use the best ingredients. Not to mention that it’s much cheaper.
Quick Pickled Onions:
- 1 red onion
- ½ tsp honey
- ½ tsp sea salt
- about 1,5-2 dl apple cider vinegar
- about 4-6 peppercorns
- fresh thyme or bay leaf
- some boiled water
- 1 bigger chopped onion
- 1 glove minced garlic
- 1 tsp coconut butter
- 400 g tinned tomatoes or 400 g fresh tomatoes (peel them on hot water)
- Seasoning: chilli, cayenne pepper, sea salt, oregano
For the Burger Patties:
- 400 g ground beef
- 3-4 tbsp almond meal
- Seasoning: dry chilli or fresh chopped chilli, dry paprika, 1 glove minced garlic, sea salt, pepper, Cayenne pepper
To Layer the Burger:
- 2 burger buns (whole grain)
- 1 tsp coconut butter
- salad leaves
- some tomato slices
- homemade mayonnaise
- Start with the pickled onions. Slice the onions and pour hot boiled water on top. Drain all the water. In a different jar mix together honey, salt, vinegar, peppercorns and thyme. Add drained onion slices. Make sure that the vinegar covers the onions. Add some more vinegar when needed. Cover the jar and let them stand on room temperature for at least 30 min or few hours in the fridge.
- Dice the white onions and lightly fry them with coconut oil on a saucepan. Add garlic and tomatoes. Season, break the tomatoes apart and let them simmer for about 15-20 minutes until most of the liquid comes out and it look like a sauce.
- Season the beef. Add about 1 tsp of almond meal for the mixture. Break it apart and make nice burger patties and cover the burger patties with almond meal. Cook the patties on a barbeque or on a hot pan.
- Butter the burger bun and toast them on a hot pan or barbeque.
- Layer the burgers and enjoy! (when you would like to have some cheese, then melt it over the burger patties before).