Sometimes I´m laughing that my recipes has to pass honest quality test. This recipe here has successfully passed the test. It´s now my boyfriend favourite meal. Mostly I succeed with desserts which are my favorite things to do but sometimes I´m able to pull myself together and also make some savory dishes.
Also, our greenhouse was full of tomatoes & chilli peppers. So, I had to do something with them!
Meat lovers Chilli con Carne Wrap
Serve for 4
- 400 g minced beef
- 1 medium onion chopped into cubes
- 1 glove minced garlic
- 1 medium red fresh jalapeño
- 1 medium fresh chilli pepper
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- Freshly grounded sea salt and black pepper
- 400 g tinned crushed tomatoes or freshly blended tomatoes
- 100 g tinned red kidney beans
- 100 g tinned white kidney beans
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped mint or coriander
- 4 multigrain wraps*
- 4 handfuls of fresh rocket leaves
- Homemade guacamole: 3 ripe avocados, 1/2 medium fresh juiced lemon, freshly ground sea salt and black pepper, chilli flakes
- Chop large onion into small dices. Chop the chilli and jalapeño. (If you don´t like it to be too spicy, then take out the seeds. I like it spicy and I usually leave them inside).
- Caramelize the diced onions with a little bit of coconut oil on a hot pan until they go almost like glass. Then add minced garlic, chopped chilli and jalapeño. Cook another minute.
- Add the beef on the pan and break it up with your spoon. Season with chilli flakes, salt and pepper. The mix should sizzle a bit when you add the minced beef. Keep stirring for at least 5 minutes, until all the mince is cooked and there are no more pink bits. The heat have be hot enough to become brown.
- Add crushed tomatoes. Wait until they go hot and then lower the heat until it is gently bubbling. Then leave it for 10 minutes or until most of the liquid steams away. Check the pan occasionally and stir. After that the mixture should look moist and juicy.
- In a mean time make the guacamole. For that, blend all the guacamole ingredients and season it for your taste.
- Drain and rinse the beans and then add them to the mixture. Cook another few minutes until the beans are hot.
- Finally take the chilli con carne out of the heat and add chopped mint.
- Heat up the wraps without oil on a clean non-sticking pan (you can add some melted cheese on the wrap but I usually skip that part). Add rocket leaves and chilli con carne.
- Serve the chilli con carne wrap with guacamole.
Notes: *You can always serve the chilli con carne with rice instead of wrap.
Chilli con Carne with Rice