Sometimes I realise that the fridge is basically empty and I´m really not in the mood to go to the store again but the stomack is empty and I just want something quickly. Usually then I´m gone play the game: „What´s in the fridge?“ Almost always I have some eggs, onions, garlic, herbs (dry or fresh from the balcony) and some freezed mushrooms.
Actually this time I was lucky. The eggs and tomatoes came from my country house and the mushrooms (chanterelles) I picked straight from the forest. Even if you don´t have hens at home, the eggs are still quite cheap compare to other things. Furthermore, if you like mushrooms and sometimes you have some leftover mushrooms, then you can always put them into the freezer and use them in a few months.
I like going to the forest and pick some mushrooms in the summer and autumn. Then usually we have so many mushrooms, that we really don´t want to eat them every day. So, quite often I put the mushrooms into the freezer. In that case the best thing you can do is to lightly fry them without butter or oil. Just to get the water out of them because otherwise they will go too wet in the freezer. Then just put the mushrooms into the freezer and you will always have some backup food in the freezer. These mushrooms are the best to use in frittata, risotto, pasta etc.
About 1 big 23 cm diameter frittata (or 8 mini frittatas)
- 200 g sliced mushrooms (champignons, chanterelles or other suitable mushrooms)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chive or dill
- ½ medium diced onion
- ¼ tsp coconut oil
- 5 eggs
- 100 ml chilled coconut milk (use the fat part which goes on top when it´s in the fridge) or whipping cream
- 1 glove minced garlic
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- About 5-6 cherry tomatoes
- ½ tsp dry basil
- Salt, pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped bacon (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 175° C/ 350° F (fan).
- Preheat a saucepan and lightly fry the diced onion with coconut oil. (If you are using bacon, then you don´t need oil at all. Just use the bacon fat to lightly caramelize onions). Add garlic and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Fry most of the the liquid out of mushrooms (about 5 minutes).
- Whisk together eggs and coconut milk. Season with dill, salt and pepper. Add parmesan cheese.
- Pour the egg mix on top of the mushrooms.* Fry it for 1 minutes and then decorate with cherry tomato and basil.
- Put the frittata straight into the hot oven and bake it for 15 minutes. Check with toothpick if the eggs are set.
- Let the frittatas cool a little bit before turning them out of the pan.
- Serve warm or store in the fridge (covered) up to 4 days.
*Notes: Use a frying pan which can go into the oven. If you don´t have a proper pan, then you can use a muffinpan and make mini fritattas or you can use some other baking pan. Then you should butter the pans and put mushroom mix at the bottom of the pan and after that add egg mix. if you are using muffin pan or something like that then you usually can´t bake it on a stove but you can but it straight into the oven and bake it longer then usually (about 20-25 minutes).