Pesto is a traditional sauce originating in Italy. It traditionally consists of crushed garlic, basil, and European
pine nuts blended with olive oil and Parmesan Cheese. Italians usually use mortar and pestle to prepare ingredients by crushing and grinding them into a fine paste.
Italians usually say that pesto which is made with blender or something like that is not a real one and of course it is not a real one made with rocket leaves or other green leaves. But I like this one too whatever it is called! Rocket leaves are usually cheaper than fresh basil and I can make more pesto.
All the ingredients are good for your health! The thing you have to understand is that oil isn´t bad for you always! Your body needs fats but not all the fats but only good fats! Sometimes people doesn´t lose weight because they don´t eat good fats like extra virgin olive oil, all kind of nuts, avocado etc. They are afraid of fats but fats are not bad always! You just have to choose the right one!
Also basil, rocket leaves and garlic are full of nutritious, vitamins. They all are superfoods!
- 3 handfuls of fresh rocket leaves
- about 10 fresh basil leaves
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of freshly grounded black pepper
- small handfuls of cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- about 4 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil (it has to be high-quality because otherwise the taste isn´t good!)
- Place rocket leaves, crushed garlic, salt, pepper and cashew nuts and half of the olive oil in food processor and blend on high until it will turn into a paste.
- Add some olive oil when you need.
- Serve right away or hold the pesto in a small jar covered with extra virgin olive oil (when you do not cover the pesto with the olive oil, it will dry and will go bad).
- Use the pesto in a week.