Trout or salmon both are very good for you! They are both one of the superfoods.
Rainbow trout and salmon both are rich in vitamin B, omega 3 and high quality protein. Fats in these fishes can´t make you harm instead it can be good for you (like always in a right amount). It has been noticed that vitamin B help facilitate normal functioning of the brain and nervous system. Vitamin B1 even helps to fight with depression!
Doing raw salted trout or salmon you have to make sure that the fish you are using is very fresh! That is really important! You can´t miss that important fact! Otherwise you get salted fish which taste awfully and is bad for you! Look my post how to buy and how to fillet a fish here.
If you want to do raw salted fish you have to make sure that the ingredient you are using are right or you get fish which you don´t eat. Although, don´t be afraid and just follow my tips. It´s actually easy.
It´s worth to do your own fresh salted fish! Trust me! You don´t want store salted fish anymore. The one you do your own is fresher and later you can feel the taste of store old salted fish immediately.
Raw Salted Rainbow Trout or Salmon
- 1 medium rainbow trout or salmon fillet (I usually use trout because I think it tastes better in this).
- 1 small tablespoon sea salt (grain of salt have to be in a proper size not too big because otherwise they won´t melt normally).
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil (extra high quality otherwise it will spoil the taste).
- Pinch of freshly grounded black pepper (optional).
- Take the fillet and put it into a plastic box which is suitable to put in a refrigerator.
- Shake salt with the spoon on the fillet. Notice that more salt gets the place where the fish is thicker. Yes, you have to do it with the spoon carefully because then the salt gets everywhere normally.
- Add pepper and olive oil.
- Hold the fish in a refrigerator overnight.
- Enjoy the fish the next day. You can put it on your bread with avocado or use the fish on a salad.
- To serve it you have to take it out of the box. Use a sharp knife, fork and cutting board. Cut only as much as you eat right away. Other fish leave in the box with skin because then it will be longer good.
- Use it in 4-5 days (maybe it is normal later also but I usually eat it before. You have to smell it to understand if the fish is good).