Carpaccio is an Italian dish. There are so many ways of doing it and I have tried different types of carpaccio. However, I think that the best way is keeping it simple, classic and just feel the pure taste.
The secret of doing perfect carpaccio is the right ingredients. The beef has to be really fresh and definitely best-quality eye fillet beef (trimmer). Fresh meat smells good (you will recognize the bad smell immediately). The colour should be red and not turned into brown or blue. If you use another fillet, then it is not so soft and it may be almost impossible to chew the meat. Yes, I know that the eye fillet beef is expensive but you don´t have to eat it all the time. Just on special occasions and only a little bit. In addition, you should have a trustful beef seller because there is a big difference between best-quality beef and normal quality fillet.
Like I have said before I am not a vegetarian. However many of my recipes are just like that. In my opinion, the meat won´t harm you in a right dose.
Serve for 3
- 150 – 200 g best-quality beef fillet, trimmer (eye fillet)
- 1 1/2 tbsp quality extra virgin olive oil
- 30 g (handful) shaved parmesan
- Crunched sea salt
- Black pepper
- Handful of rocket leaves
- 1 tsp lemon juice (optional)
- Take the quality eye fillet beef. If there are some beef diaphragms (these are the white things in the meat), then remove them with a sharp knife. Remove only most of them because you don´t want to waste the meat.
- Enclose the beef tightly in plastic wrap and freeze for 30 minutes. Freezing the beef will make it easier to slice it thinly. If you freeze it longer than it might spoil the taste.
- Unwrap the beef and slice it very thinly with a sharp knife.
- Make the beef thinner with knuckles. (It is possible to use meat hammer or rolling pin but I have found that doing with hands are better).
- Place the sliced beef on a plate.
- Season well with crunched sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add extra virgin olive oil.
- Add rocket leaves.
- Add shaved parmesan.
- Add some extra olive oil and pepper.
- If you like, then add some freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Let it season for few minutes.
- Serve with red wine.