Have you noticed that the first strawberries are ready? Yes, strawberries are already sweet and tasty. You don´t have to be afraid that you will get plastic strawberries in the markets. If you grow your strawberries by yourself, then it is a perfect time to use strawberries in desserts.
This time I used meringue on a strawberry roll. There are so many ways and methods to do meringue. It depends on which meringue you would like to have. However, in every meringue, you have to have right ingredients, right egg white beating method and the right temperature. If you like meringue which has the crispy exterior, then you should definitely add vinegar or lemon juice (I have found that white wine vinegar gives the best results). In addition, for crispy meringue, you will also need cornstarch. Furthermore, you can do soft meringue and meringue with teardrops (then you should have enough sweetness inside the meringue to have the teardrops). If you like soft meringue, then there are also some tips you should follow. If you know all the right tips, then doing meringue is easy. In this recipe, I used a soft meringue.
Usually, in meringue recipes are using white sugar or white sugar powder. However, this time I tried to use honey instead of sugar. It worked!
So here is a recipe for sugar and gluten-free dessert. It´s healthier dessert than other sugar desserts but it does not mean that you have to eat it too much. Honey is also full of energy. 🙂
For the meringue:
- 5 egg whites (what to do with egg yolks? For example, do a crème brûlée, mayonnaise or a Caesar salad sauce)
- 5-6 tbsp honey
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tsp of cold water
For the filling:
- 200 ml whipping cream (not whipped into thick and no extra ingredients like sugar)
- 200 ml mascarpone cheese
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 500-600 g fresh strawberries
- Some fresh melissa leaves for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 175°C/ 347°F.
- Put the 5 large egg whites with a pinch of salt into a large clean mixing bowl (not plastic). (It´s very important that the bowl is clean, otherwise, the egg white will not beat up correctly). In addition, the egg whites should be at room temperature because then they will beat up better. Beat them on medium speed with an electric hand whisk until the mixture resembles a fluffy cloud and stands up in stiff peaks when the blades are lifted.
- Now turn the speed up and start to add honey, a dessertspoonful at a time. It’s very important to add honey slowly at this stage as it helps prevent the meringue from weeping later. However, don’t over-beat. When ready, the mixture should be thick and glossy.
- When the mixture is glossy and thick, add 1 teaspoon of cold water and mix it.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of water on a baking paper which is on the form. Use a smaller rectangle
oven form for baking. If you have a classical form, then put the egg white mixture in the centre of the form in a rectangle shape (32×22 cm). The egg white will get wider in the oven.
- Put the egg white mixture in the oven and after 8-10
minutes reduce the temperature to 140°C/ 284°F and bake it for 30 minutes until the meringue is golden and springing.
- Turn off the oven and open the oven door a little bit and let the meringue rest in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the meringue from the oven and turn the upper side down on to a sheet of non-stick baking paper. Remove the paper from the base of the cooked meringue and allow it to cool for about 15 minutes.
- While the meringue cools down to make the filling.
Beat up the whipping cream with honey and add mascarpone and vanilla extract.
- Blend 3-5 strawberries on the inside of the roll.
- Add mascarpone mixture, blended strawberries
(leave about 3 tbsp of cream for decoration). Cut the strawberries into quarters and sprinkle over the cream mixture.
- Roll up the meringue firmly using the paper to help you, from the long end to form a roulade, it is essential to keep the roll very tight. Wrap in non-stick baking paper and chill before serving.
- Right before serving to decorate with cream, strawberries and green leaves. (If you like, you can cut the edges and add sliced almond as well).