Is it too late for apple cake right now? Maybe, but I still have a lot of apples at home. The best apples for the cake are tart apples which aren´t the best ones to eat.
Here is a really simple and quick apple cake slice recipe which is paleo, gluten and sugar free. The magic is that there isn´t any butter in it but it´s still so moist and nice that it just melts in your mouth. The almonds give enough natural oils so you don´t have to worry that it´s dry. When you try this without knowing what´s in the cake, then it´s quite easy to guess that it´s full of refined sugar and wheat flour (plain flour).
When I was creating the recipe and testing my recipe at least four times, then it was finally time to publish one of my favourite apple cake recipe. What´s so good about it? It´s simple, quick and doesn´t have too many ingredients. Mostly it contains apple, almonds, eggs and maple syrup. When my sister was first trying the cake then she was quite amazed. How did you do that? How is it possible, that it contains these ingredients? It just melts in my mouth just like butter?! Somehow it´s all working together and it´s quite easy to fool yourself and others with that cake slice.
Paleo Apple Crumble Cake Slice
- 3-4 tart apples (about 250 g of clean apple slices)
- 200 g almond flour
- 4 eggs (room temperature!)
- 1,5 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 6 tbsp maple syrup + 1 tbsp for apples + 2 tbsp for egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Crumble on top:
- 50 g almond meal (or hazelnut meal)
- 70 g almond slices
- 1,5 tbsp coconut butter (room temperature, soft)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 175° C/ 347° F.
- Make the apple slice base. Mix together almond flour, salt and baking powder.
- Add egg yolks and 6 tbsp of maple syrup to the almond meal mixture.
- Chop apples into thin slices and mix them with 1 tbsp maple syrup and cinnamon.
- With an electric mixer with a very clean bowl and clean whisk attachment, beat the egg whites (room temperature). When bubbles start to form add vanilla extract and maple syrup (1 tbsp at time). Mix well until the egg whites mixture is firm and soft peaks form.
- Add about 2 tbsp of egg white mixture to the egg yolk mixture and mix well. Then add the rest of the egg whites and with the spoon gently fold together egg whites mixture and egg yolks and almond meal mixture (lifting the mixture down to top, don´t use electric mixture at this time).
- Butter the baking sheet with coconut butter and pour it in the bigger baking pan (40 cm x 40 cm).
- Add apple on the dough.
- Make the crumble. Mix together almond meal and slices with salt and coconut oil (room temperature). Add maple syrup. Mix until it looks like crumble (big crumble chunks are good, don’t break them apart).
- Add the crumble on top of the apples.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden and the toothpick comes out clean (when it´s cooked, then I usually turn the oven off and leave the oven door open until it cools).
- Let it cool down before you serve.