A few days ago I went to the farmers market. I just wondered around there and buying seasonal fruits and vegetables but then something stupid happened. I saw strawberries. The strawberry season here is over long time ago but you can still find some last late strawberries on the market but they are more expensive then usually. So, I saw the strawberries and I couldn´t resist. I just had to buy the strawberries to get the summer feeling again. I was telling myself that it´s because I was travelling and I almost missed the summer and the strawberries in here. Finally, I bought the strawberries and at least the seller told me that they are local. I went home and felt a little bit bad spending that money. But there wasn´t anything to do anymore. The least I can do is to do something good with them. The first thing that came on my mind was strawberry tart. I used to make it with usual plain flour and sugar and it was something delicious and light. Then I thought that why don ´t I use almond meal instead of plain flour and honey instead of sugar. Done! The results were even better then usually.
- 2 cups almond meal (4,7 dl)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks (what to do with egg whites? Make mousse! I have some recipes for coconut mousse and chocolate mousse)
- 300 ml whipping cream
- 2,5 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or one seeded vanilla bean)
Decoration: about 500 g of fresh strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 175° C/ 347° F.
- To make the crust, place almond meal and salt in a food processor and pulse until combined. Add maple syrup and coconut oil and process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add egg and process until the mixture forms a ball.
- Butter the 23 cm tart pan with coconut butter. Take the pastry out of the food processor and press the pastry on the tart pan (it might be a little bit sticky. So, you might need to make your fingers a little bit wet because you can´t handle it like usual plain flour tart pastry).
- Bake it for 12-15 minutes until it´s lightly golden (make sure it´s baked because otherwise later it doesn´t stay together properly).
- While the crust is in the oven, make the filling. Whisk together all the ingredients until combined (don´t use a mixer, because the filling might go to scrambled eggs like this).
- When the pastry case is ready, pour the filling on top of the crust and bake it another 20 minutes until the filling is set.
- Make a quick strawberry jam to brush the fresh strawberries. Chop about 5-8 strawberries and place it on the saucepan. Steam the strawberries on a low heat for 5-8 minutes until the strawberries break into a jam. Set aside to cool.
- Take the tart out of the oven and set aside to cool.
- Decorate the tart with strawberries. Brush the strawberries with jam and enjoy!