Curd snack is a sweet snack made from curd cheese and usually covered with chocolate. It´s popular in the Baltic States and there is a wide choice of different curd snacks in there. However, usually they are full of sugar but if you make your own curd snacks then you can add different sweeteners instead of usual refined sugar. It may take a little time to do this but it´s totally worth it! Trust me!
- 400 g curd (or if you don´t have curd you can use ricotta as well, however, the results may be different. In Australia I can´t find real curd)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 boiled egg
- 2 tbsp coconut butter or usual butter (melted in room temperature)
- 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 150 g 70-80% dark chocolate (or make your own raw chocolate by melting 5 tbsp cocoa butter, 3 tbsp cocoa powder (unsweetened), 1 tsp honey)
- Blend together curd, vanilla, boiled egg, butter and honey.
- Put the curd mixture on the strainer which stays in the bowl. Let the curd mixture drain overnight in the refrigerator (then the curd water gets out of the curd and you can handle the curd better).
- Take the mixture out of the refrigerator and press the mixture into a roll (I usually get 2 rolls which are about 2 cm wide. Freeze the curd for 45-60 minutes and cut the curd into about 2×5 cm pieces and put it into the freezer.
- Melt the chocolate in a hot water bath (make sure that no water gets inside the chocolate) and put the curd pieces into the chocolate. However, when the curd is frozen then the melted chocolate freeze at once. So, quickly put the curd with a toothpick into chocolate and when needed then help with a teaspoon.
- Top the curd snack with sliced almond.
- Put the curd snack in the refrigerator (not freezer) and let them come to the refrigerator temperature.
- Eat the curd snacks within a week and keep them in the refrigerator.