The first time I tried real mousse I was so amazed that my first reaction was: „Mmm … How can I make the same thing?!“ Mousse just have to have that light and airy texture which just melts in your mouth. So I started to read about making the mousse. There are just so many ways to make it. Although I have found out that the best air bubbles you can still have with egg whites. So, the first time I tried to make mousse I didn´t have Internet in my hand but I had so many leftover egg whites that I just needed to use them. Because of that, I decided to try making mousse without a recipe. How hard can it be? Just, egg whites, sugar and cream? Sugar? Yes, sometimes when I´m developing new recipes I quite often make them in the traditional way and then when they work I try to be creative. So, making mousse the first time without the recipe? I had made meringue before, so I tried to use the same technique whipping up the egg whites. It worked perfectly. The vanilla bean mousse with raspberries was perfect! It just quickly disappeared from the fridge. The next time I wanted to make mousse with different flavours. So, I used the new recipe from the Internet. I failed … The recipe told me to whip the cream with sugar and not with egg whites. So, the egg whites didn´t have the right texture and at the bottom of the glass was just liquid what we definitely don´t need. In the end, the mousse is quick and easy dessert and you just have to follow some of the tips I´m gone give you!
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 200 ml whipping cream or chilled coconut milk* (See the notes)
- 3 egg whites (room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or 1 seeded vanilla bean
- 3 tsp raw honey
- Whip whipping cream with vanilla extract and until soft peaks form. Add coconut and fold it together. Set aside.
- In a different bowl whip egg whites until foamy. Start adding honey 1 tsp at a time. Keep whipping until stiff peaks form. The egg foam should be firm and shiny. (Doing the egg white foam it´s very important that the dishes are clean and dry. How to be sure that the egg white is ready? Turn the bowl with egg whites upside down. The egg white foam should be in the bowl even upside down, not on the floor).
- Gently fold together the whipped cream mixture and the egg mixtures (from bottom to top). Start adding 2 tbsp of egg white foam to the cream and stir. Then add the rest of the egg white foam and gently fold it together. It doesn´t have to dissolve completely. (This part is very important! You can´t overwork the texture, So, try to fold as less as possible).
- Put the mixture into individual serving glasses and refrigerate at least few hours.
- Decorate with edible flowers, shredded coconut and serve!
* Notes: If you can´t or don´t want to eat whipping cream then you can replace it with coconut milk. How to make the coconut whipped cream? You will need just 400 ml coconut milk (the choice of coconut milk or cream is very important. There are many brands which have many additives or thickeners and because of that, they don’t separate even after weeks in the refrigerator (so try to choose more natural ones which have fewer thickeners inside). After chilling, you should get liquid and thickened cream like cream cheese on top. If you don´t have that, then there´s something wrong with the coconut cream and it won´t whip properly and you can´t get mousse out of it.
- Chill coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight or more. (Make sure that you don´t shake the can to encourage separation of the cream and liquid).
- The next day, chill a large mixing bowl 10 minutes in the refrigerator before whipping.
- Remove the coconut milk from the fridge without shaking and remove the lid. Scrape out the top, thickened cream and leave the liquid behind (for example, use in smoothies).
- Put hardened cream in your chilled mixing bowl. Whip on high for 15 minutes until the whipped cream is soft, fluffy and it holds soft peaks.
- Fold it with egg white foam as I described before.