Muffins! One of the most unhealthy thing you can find in the coffee shops. Those sweet moist muffins are full of sugar and butter. When I was working in Australia I was making muffins every day and usually the smell of the freshly baked muffins drove everyone crazy. You just can´t resist! So, there has to be a little bit better way to enjoy those sweet treats?! Yes, there is a way! The solution is almonds! They are full of natural oils so you don´t even have to add any butter and oil to make it moist. Almonds are doing everything themselves.
You can make about 4 big muffins
- 100 g almond meal (flour)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2-2,5 tbsp honey (or maple syrup)
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or 1 seeded vanilla bean)
- 2 tbsp natural yogurt (unsweetened)
- 1/3 cup blueberries (about 1 tbsp blueberries to each muffin)
- Handful of almond slices
- Preheat the oven to 150° C/ 302° F (on fan).
- Mix together almond meal, salt and baking powder. Add yogurt and honey. Mix until combined well.
- Add egg and stir until only combined. The key is to stir as less as possible! It´s very important that you stir with a spoon, not with a mixer!
- Butter the muffin cases* with coconut butter (then they don´t stick so much to the paper). Put the muffin cases half full and then add about 5-10 blueberries (depends on the size of the berries). Then add the rest of the mixture on top. The muffin cases should be 3/4 full. Decorate the muffins with some blueberries and almond slices.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until golden and the toothpick comes out clean. Remember that they will keep baking a little bit after you take them out of the oven: So, try not to overcook them, because like all the usual muffins they will go dry, when they are overcooked.
Notes: *Use quite big muffin cases. Then you can be sure that the muffins are very moist. If you have only smaller muffin cases, then you might need bake less time. However, once I had some strange muffin cases which were so small, that the results wasn´t that good as usually.