My love for banana bread started when in a short period I had to work 12-14 hours straight and somehow I didn´t even have a break for normal hot meals. So, all I had time for was a quick energy boost for this banana bread and my raw coconut truffles. I know that working so long hours is not good for me but still these amazing energy snacks gave me almost enough to get through that time.
There are thousands of recipes for banana bread. Usually, they are full of wheat flour and sugar. So, sometimes people are hoping to eat healthier breakfast or a snack but they end up with sugar bread. Here is my recipe for banana bread which is sugar-free, gluten-free and paleo. It doesn´t even have any honey inside! Natural oils in the almonds are making the bread perfectly moist. The only problem is that you have to stop eating.
- 240 g almond meal (almond flour)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1/3 tsp baking soda
- 6-7 pitted dates
- 50 ml natural yogurt
- 3 ripe bananas and 1 banana for decoration (The sweetness of the banana bread will depend on how ripe the bananas are. So, if you would like to have sweeter, then add some more dates)
- 3 eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup almond meal is about 96 grams and 1 cup is about 2,3 dl.
- If you have leftover banana bread, then you can put some slices into the freezer and use it in a few months.
- Preheat the oven to 175° C/ 347° F.
- Soak the dates in a hot water for 5-10 minutes. Add only the water to cover the dates.
- Mix all together almond meal, cinnamon, salt, soda.
- With an electric mixer in a very clean bowl and clean whisk attachment, beat the egg whites (room temperature). Mix well until the egg whites mixture is firm.
- Blend bananas with dates until smooth. Strain the dates and leave the dates water behind (use it for smoothies). Add egg yolks, yogurt and vanilla bean paste. Stir until combined and then add the almond meal mixture.
- With the spoon gently fold together egg whites mixture and almond meal mixture (lifting the mixture down to top, don´t use electric mixture at this time. The key is to stir as less as possible. It doesn´t matter if the egg white foam is not completely dissolved in egg yolk mixture).
- Pour the mixture into bread tin and decorate with extra banana or almond slices. (If you are using almond slices, then add the slices after the bread has been in the oven for 25 minutes).
- Bake for about 50-55 minutes until golden and the toothpick comes out clean.
- Let it cool down before you turn the bread out of the bread tin.