Lately, I’m obsessed with two things. I would like to make every recipe with these two ingredients. All new ideas that I can come up with are made out of beetroot or matcha green tea. So, this time it’s beetroot. I think you can also use beetroot powder for these protein bars. However, I found that the real beetroot works perfectly and makes sure that the protein bars aren’t dry. If you are afraid that the bars will taste like beetroot, then honestly don’t worry! It doesn’t taste like beetroot at all. You will just get a nice pink color that looks delicious and is a great idea for homemade Christmas gifts (check my post with homemade Christmas gift ideas).
Beetroot is actually one of the cheapest healthy ingredients that we can find. It has so many health benefits that tell us we really need to eat more of it. Some researchers even say that it’s one of the best antioxidants. It’s good for blood pressure and cholesterol. If you are not a fan of beetroot, then I still suggest you to start eating only a little bit of beetroot at a time. Hide it in these delicious protein bars and then try to say no to that. You might even get kids to eat the pink bars. These bars don’t have to be protein bars you can always just call them pink bars when you leave out the protein. The choice is always yours.
Secretly Veggie Paleo Pink Protein Bars
- 100 g (3,5 oz) sliced almonds (or almond meal)
- 50 g (1,7 oz) cooked beetroot (boiled)
- ½ tsp ground vanilla bean
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp pea protein*
- 70 g (2,5 oz) cocoa butter
- 2 tbsp honey (or maple syrup for vegan option)
- 1 tsp cocoa nibs
- Add almonds, beetroot, protein, vanilla, and salt to the food processor. Blend.
- Add cocoa butter to the mixture and blend until smooth.
- Add honey and blend until smooth.
- Put the mixture in the box (19×13 cm/ 7,4x 5,1 inch) that is covered with baking paper. Decorate with cocoa nibs.
- Freeze for 20-30 minutes or refrigerate for few hours.
- Cut into smaller bars (depends on what shape you prefer) and enjoy.
* You can always make just pink bars without protein, just replace the pea protein with almond meal to get the right texture.