Easy gluten-free paleo almond flour apple cake that is perfect when you would like to enjoy a simple cake slice. Natural oils from the almond make it moist, and sweetness from the raw honey makes it a great healthy(ish) choice.
It’s that time of the year when there are so many delicious treats in the garden that I don’t even know where to start. In these cases, I tell myself JUST start from somewhere. So, today it’s going to be all about apples! Yes, it’s another almond flour cake. I can’t help myself.
All the other healthy(ish) flours such as oat flour, coconut flour, and rice flour aren’t very popular in my home for sweet cakes. That’s why I can’t help myself to share another almond flour cake. I feel like it’s just the perfect ingredient if you love classic cakes made out of butter and plain flour. It’s so similar to that traditional flour and egg cake. However, the secret here is that almonds have so many natural oils inside that it’s perfectly moist.
Also, if you would like to see the whole process of making this cake, then check out my stories (or highlight) on Instagram. I share step-by-step instructions there as well!
SIMPLE PALEO GLUTEN-FREE APPLE ALMOND CAKE
Time: Preparation 10-15 minutes; Baking time: 25 minutes
Nutritional information (per one cake slice): 187,9 kcal, Protein: 6,8 g, Net Carbs: 11,1 g, Fat: 12,7 g
- 1/4 tsp coconut butter
- 160 g (5,6 oz) almond flour (almond meal)
- 3 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp honey + 1 tsp for egg whites + 1/2 tsp for apples
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- about 2 tart medium apples (such as Granny Smith)
- Decoration: 2 tbsp almond slices & a pinch of cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 175° C/ 347° F.
- Butter the 18 cm springform with coconut butter.
- Mix almond flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Clean and slice the apples and mix it with cinnamon and ½ tsp of honey. Set aside.
- Whisk together egg yolks and honey until pale yellow.
- With an electric mixer with a clean bowl and clean whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites (room temperature) until almost firm. Add 1 tsp of honey. Mix well until the egg whites mixture is firm.
- With the spatula gently fold together egg whites mixture and egg yolks mixture (lifting the mixture down to top, don´t use an electric mixer at this time). Add almond flour mixture with a strainer (or gently with a spoon). Gently fold with the spatula.
- Pour the mixture into the springform. Add apple slices on top and decorate with almond slices and cinnamon.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes until golden and the toothpick comes out clean (Try not to over bake it because it will go dry).
- Let it cool down a little bit before you take it out of the form. Enjoy!
If you liked this recipe, then please leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @healthylauracom or another platform. Your feedback is precious to me.