It’s time to celebrate the rhubarb season. The spring is here, and some of the fresh ingredients straight from the garden are already here. This years the spring for me means that another semester in the university will come to an end. It looks like my master’s degree studies are soon coming to an end. Some of you have asked me why do you even study law? The truth is that the most exciting part for me is copyright law (+ its combination with international law and the Internet). 🙂 Might sound strange, but that’s probably the reason why I even stayed in uni (+ I don’t like to leave things unfinished).
Anyway, enough university talk. Let’s celebrate the spring with the simple upside-down almond rhubarb cake. This cake here is the most basic gluten and refined sugar-free that you can enjoy on its own or serve it with ice cream. I must say that it’s hard to make a difference with this almond meal cake and plain flour cake. Almonds itself have enough fat inside, and you don’t even need to use butter to make it moist.
Upside-Down Rhubarb Cake
Time: Preparation 10-15 minutes; Baking 25-30 minutes; In total: 40-45 min
- 1/4 tsp coconut butter
- 2 rhubarb (about 85 g) + 1/4 tsp cinnamon + 1 tsp honey
- 160 g (5,6 oz) almond flour
- 3 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp honey + 1 tbsp for egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 175° C/ 347° F.
- Slice the rhubarb and mix it with cinnamon and honey.
- Butter the 18 cm springform with coconut butter.
- Mix almond flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Whisk together egg yolks with honey.
- With an electric mixer with a clean bowl and clean whisk attachment, beat the egg whites (room temperature) until firm. Add vanilla extract and 1 tsp of honey. Mix well until the egg whites mixture is firm.
- With the spatula gently fold together egg whites mixture and egg yolks mixture (lifting the mixture down to top, don´t use an electric mixer at this time). Gently add almond flour mixture (you can use a strainer). Gently fold with the spatula.
- Add the rhubarb slices at the bottom of the springform.
- Pour the mixture into the springform.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and the toothpick comes out clean.
- Let it cool down a little bit before you take it out of the form.
If you liked this recipe, then please leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @healthylauracom or another platform. Your feedback is very valuable to me.