This recipe here is something so simple that it´s quite hard to call it a recipe. However, I make this so often that I thought that there has to be a place for that in the blog. Sometimes when I´m not in the mood for cooking or I´m just hangry. So, hungry and angry at the same time and I just want something really quickly, then I just smash some avocado on the toast and add poached egg. Other times I eat that toast for breakfast and I just enjoy it so much, that I just tell myself not to eat it every morning. If you haven´t poached an egg before, then don´t worry! You will get it after a little bit of practise or even the first time you try.
Smashed Avocado with Poached Egg
- 2 toast (just choose your favorite)
- 2 eggs
- 1 avocado
- 2 tbsp lime (or lemon) juice
- Freshly ground sea salt & pepper
1. Smash the avocado with lime, salt and pepper. (I usually do this with a fork beacause when you are going to blend it it will be too smooth).
2. How to poach an egg? There are thousands of solutions for poaching an egg. However, I have found that the best way for me is to use a non-sticking saucepan. Before I used a whisk and lightly swirled the water. But when I worked in the kitchen and I had to poach for example 20 eggs for every breakfast, then I realized that the saucepan way is easier. It just depends how many eggs are you doing at the same time and how much mess you would like to make. So, how I poach an egg?
- Choose very fresh eggs (then it´s easier to poach an egg).
- Just fill the saucepan with water and add a tbsp vinegar.
- Get the water to boil and then lower the heat a little bit. There has to be only very small bubbles. You don´t need the big bubbles. If the water boils too much, then it will break the egg into small pieces.
- Gently break the egg into the water (you can put the egg into the small bowl and pour them from there as well). Do the same thing with the second egg.
- The water has to simmer for 2-3 minutes.The egg yolk should be still soft when you gently touch it with finger. You would like to have runny eggs. The egg white should be thick.
- Remove the eggs with a slotten spoon and put it on the paper towel to get rid of the excess vinegar.
- Still sounds confusing? There are many good videos for poaching an egg.
3. Serve the poached eggs with toast and smashed avocado mix. Add some freshly ground pepper.