A few years ago I saw mulberries in the store. It was something exotic and exciting. So, I went home and researched what are mulberries. I found out that these white mulberries are popular in China and are less in calories (about 43 calories per 100 g) but sweet. So, another alternative for sugar. In addition, mulberries are full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
Why you should eat mulberries?
- Good for your digestive system – it´s full of dietary fiber which helps you to take care of your digestion;
- Lowers blood pressure and is good for you heart – it contains antioxidants (such as resveratrol) which has an important role in blood vessels;
- Boost your immune system – because of vitamin C and antioxidants it helps to make your immune system stronger
- It lowers you blood sugar level
- Keep your bones strong – because of vitamin K and calcium, magnesium it´s good for keeping bone tissues strong. In addition, because of these components it can even prevent conditions like osteoporosis or other bone disorders.
- The source of anti-aging – some resources have found that because of vitamin A, E and some carotenoids like beta carotene, Alpha carotene and zea-xanthin effect your skin, tissues, hair and other parts of body by keeping skin smooth, reducing age spots and keeping hair shiny and strong.
After knowing all of that information the next time I went to the store I bought mulberries and gave them a try. They are just delicious! Mulberries are so good, that I usually don´t have the time to cook with them because I eat them before I make something out of them.
Raspberry and Mango Bowl with Mulberries
For the smoothie:
- 150 ml natural yogurt
- 1/2 mango
- 1 handful raspberries (frozen or fresh)
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste (optional)
- 1 tsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
Topping: handful of dry mulberries, ½ mango, bigger handful of raspberries, 1 fresh fig (optional)
- Blend all the smoothie ingredients until smooth (except chia seeds). Stir in the chia seeds. Leave the smoothie for 15 minutes because of chia seeds (chia seeds needs to soak a little biot in the liquid to make it easier to digest).
- Pour the smoothie into a bowl and decorate with mango, raspberries, fig and mulberries and chia seeds.